Track & Field

Junior sprinter makes impression felt

One of the key factors to the Cougars’ perennial success is maintaining new talent on their roster. There is always a freshman or transfer who shows an ability to contribute instantly.

This season junior Kelvin Furlough has been the new face to quickly acclimate himself to the championship pace of the Cougars.

“He’s added a new dimension to our program,” head coach Leroy Burrell said.

“He brings a bit of maturity because he came in as a junior college transfer. He was ready to run when he got here and has improved a great deal since he’s been here.”

Furlough won two gold medals at the Conference USA Indoor Championships this past weekend in the 200 and 400-meter dash, while the UH men’s team took the team title.

After transferring from Southwestern Christian College in north Texas, the transition to UH has been a successful one.

“From running in junior college last year and then to get the in win conference in my first year here is pretty nice,” Furlough said.

Preparing for a bigger stage

Furlough will have little time to celebrate his triumphs at the C-USA meet.

He automatically qualified for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Championships with a 46.69-second performance in February at the Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium, the same venue where nationals will be hosted.

“He’s come in as a talented athlete and he’s proved himself, and he’ll continue to do so,“ Burrell said. “I fully expect that he will perform well at the national level.”