Bright ‘Lights’ shines from Great Britain

Ellie Goulding, the 24-year-old from Hereford, England, first released her album “Lights” in the UK during 2010, but on March 8 she released a version for America through Cherry Tree records. This US release contains three extra songs but took away two from the chart-topping UK version.

Ellie has gained much popularity across the pond and thankfully has decided to grace us with her musical talents. In 2010, she was the recipient of the Critic’s Choice Award at the BRIT awards. Her album “Lights” sold over 380,000 copies by the end of the year and debuted at number one.

The album begins with title track “Lights,” and its pop melodies mixed with the soft vocals leaves the listener in a conundrum of its musical complexity. It is a track that one can dance with or just relax and enjoy the melody. The theme of love and romance in the forefront of the song is a re-occurring theme in most of the tracks.

Then it leads straight into the acoustic intro of “Guns and Horses.” It does not have the same pop feel as “Lights,” but still contains some of that essence with a strong electronic beats in the background. It is not as strong a track as others on the album.

“Starry Eyed” is next and is decidedly a track filled with pop melodies, claps and electronic flair. It is one of her best works and coupled with “Animal” would sound excellent at a club. Both of these tracks show off her prowess as an electronic pop artist.

“This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)” is similar to “Guns and Horses” with a mixing of genres using piano melodies and electronic beats. Her voice is drowned out slightly by the background beats during the chorus but as a whole the track is a fun piece of pop. It leads into “Under the Sheets” and is quite similar in sound with the previous track with background beats occasionally taking the front seat but is redeemed with an ethereal synth powered chorus.

“The Writer” is musically one of the best songs on the album. It opens with a beautiful melody being plucked away on the piano. It then swells into a chorus of xylophones, drums and acoustic guitars and when coupled with her voice is a fantastic example of what she is capable of without the electronic overtones. Sadly, the message of allowing oneself to be controlled by one’s partner to keep the relationship can leave it on a sour note, but if ignored the track is truly fantastic.

“Your Biggest Mistake” seems to change the genre game with an acoustic guitar intro but leads into an electronic synth chorus. “Salt Skin” is an interesting track vocally with staccato verses and over-laying her voice again and again for a choir effect behind electronic beats.

Ellie saves the best for last with a cover of Sir Elton John’s “Your Song.” It begins with her voice, a piano and a violin. This shows what she is truly capable of without synth and pop beats. It feels real and raw. It is a stirring and emotional song that can truly stand up next to the original.

It is truly no wonder why Ellie Goulding is a chart-topper with such excellent song writing and genre bending.