Yearbook ad sales increase

This year the yearbook sales at UH have not been as good as some have hoped. To improve sales, students can pre-order a yearbook until April 29 for a chance to win an iPad.

The Houstonian is available for purchase for $45. Students can get an order form in the Houstonian office, which is located in room 7 in the UC Satellite.

Unfortunately, sales have dipped this year, according to Patricia Estrada, editor of Houstonian. Estrada thinks the cause is the economy. Although the sales have been worse than other years, the advertising for the Houstonian has been greater than ever before.

“This year’s sales are disappointing. Despite the fact, we are doing more than ever before to reach out and promote the book. We struggle to make the idea of a college yearbook appealing. But even at universities with strong traditions, the yearbook is fading away,” said Matt Dulin, production and editorial manager at The Daily Cougar and adviser of Houstonian Yearbook.

The content of the yearbook is extensive with news from UH and current events around the world, to the issues that some college students have dealt with throughout their career.

“This year we have included the traditional sections like the organization pages, portraits, athletic and events, but we have also added our news section, which will cover all the major news stories this year,” said Houstonian editor Patricia Estrada. “We have also included a section we called ‘True Life’ where we address hard issues like sex, alcohol, single motherhood and other things some college students have to deal with.

“This is not your typical high school yearbook, I wanted this book to be something like a table book that you can and want to look at over and over again, not something that you put away in a box and take out once in a blue moon.”

If students are interested in taking their free photo for the yearbook, please contact [email protected] to schedule your appointment.