Football Overtime

Football – UH to play three weeknight games; coaching staff to host youth camps

Three of the Cougars’ weekend games will be shifted to Thursday nights for television purposes.
Two of the three contests are away games — Sept. 29 at UTEP and Nov. 10 at Tulane — and the other is their Oct. 27 date with rival Rice.
“These date changes provide our football program another level of exposure with television and the prestige that comes with a national television audience,” UH Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades said in a release.
“Our program has seen great advances in identity outside of the Houston area thanks to 20 games which have been televised either regionally or nationally over the past two years. We are honored that our team is considered such a strong product for our television partners.”
Youth in the Texas region will get a chance to learn from head coach Kevin Sumlin and his staff this summer during a series of camps across the state.
The first seven camps are for students in grades 9-12, and the second, third and fourth camps are $30. The opening mini camp will be hosted at 1:30 p.m. June 5 on campus for a fee of $35.The second will be hosted at 2 p.m. June 6 at Lobo Stadium in Longview.
The third is the North Metroplex camp at noon on June 7 at Tommy Standridge Stadium in Carrollton. The following day’s camp will be at noon at the Ben Dial Complex Eagle Stadium in DeSoto. The road trip will end June 9 in Austin.
June 10 will be a specialists camp for punters, place kickers and deep snappers, with registration starting at 9 a.m. The fee is $130.
Sumlin and his staff will return to campus to host a camp June 12. For students in grades 2-8, UH offers a youth camp from June 13-15 for $180. The final mini camp is July 30 for players in grades 10-12.