Houstonians attempt to break hula hoop record

Houstonians have a chance to help set a Guinness World Record as the Easter Seals of Greater Houston attempt to beat the world record of simultaneous hula hooping from 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday at Discovery Green Park.

The event, Hula Hoop for Houston, will raise funds for and bring awareness to Easter Seals Greater Houston, which benefits individuals of all ages who are dealing with a disability, impairment or special needs.

“Because we serve people with disabilities, Guinness has agreed that we can spin the hula hoop on any part of the body to qualify — everyone is welcome and can participate,” said Easter Seals Greater Houston CEO Elise Hough in the organization’s blog post about the event.

Participants will need to bring their own hoop.

Individuals and families are encouraged to bring picnic lunches to hang out after the hooping has concluded.

Attendees should also remember to bring plenty of water and anything else that may be needed to stay cool throughout the day to combat the heat.

Though one in six Houstonians live with a disability, recent state budget cuts have jeopardized the free services offered by organizations like ESGH.

Formerly known as United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Houston, the ESGH mission statement explains how they’ve worked for more than six decades to provide a “life without limits for people with all types of disabilities.”

All participants are encouraged to make a suggested $10 donation to help the organization reach their $250,000 goal. Although a donation is not required, the purpose of the event is to raise money to help maintain the services offered by ESGH and will assist citizens with disabilities, their families and caregivers.

ESGH is taking donations online at www.give2gether.com/projects/easter-seals-of-greater-houston-1/, using a credit card or PayPal. Cash, checks or money order are also accepted.

On the website, the ‘Take the Challenge’ link allows users to register for the event and create a fundraising page to notify their family and friends of their participation.