Soccer

Trip to North Carolina unsuccessful for UH

The Cougars remain winless after a weekend road trip against No. 10 Duke and No. 1 North Carolina.

UH (0-3) was outscored by its opponents 8-1. The Cougars again had trouble creating scoring opportunities, managing only 14 shots between the two games.

Though the scores seemed lopsided, head coach Susan Bush thought that the tough competition would help the Cougars as the season progresses.

“There were so many positives through a tough weekend,” Bush said in a release. “We played 20 players in each game. Those numbers create depth, competition, and a sense of team. The two games were a learning experience for us, and will lend to an overall successful season.”

The Cougars fell 2-0 to the Blue Devils (4-0) on Friday.

Freshman forward Kelly Cobb scored first for the Blue Devils eight minutes into the match, and sophomore forward Mollie Pathman added a second goal in the 49th minute.

The Cougars held the Blue Devils scoreless for the final 41 minutes of the match, but could not generate any offense of their own.

Freshman Kelsey Zamora managed to fire three shots on goal for the Cougars.

Sophomore Cami Koski started in goal for the Cougars, after sitting for their opener against Texas (3-1). She made three saves.

The Tar Heels presented more of a challenge for the Cougars.

Sophomore midfielder Kelly McFarlane scored first for the Tar Heels, putting a corner kick in the back of the net.

The Cougars answered quickly with their first goal of the season off the foot of senior Jessica Zavalza, nearly 15 minutes into the match.

The Tar Heels would quickly separate themselves with another goal four minutes later, and win by a margin of 6-1. The Cougars next opponent will be North Texas at 1 p.m. Sunday at Robertson Stadium.