Kitchen as a classroom

Barron’s restaurant, part of the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, is a student-run business and lab on campus that gives students working experience.

Closed during the summer months, the restaurant has re-opened for the fall semester.

“It’s hands on training and gives management opportunities,” said Shawn Kuehn, a hotel and restaurant management masters student.

“Allowing students to develop their own management style through trials and errors.”

The restaurant consists of students from two classes. The required food service class has students work as servers.

The food II class is a capstone course for those in the food and beverage program, has students work as the restaurant’s management.

“As a student you’re learning what to do and what not to do,” said senior Krystal Luna, who is part of the service class. “Not to neglect customers, if a problem comes up you acknowledge it not ignore it.”

As the restaurant attracts a high volume of customers, the servers become busier and management can be seen directing traffic and making sure that service is flowing smoothly.

“The main goal is to teach you real life for management and salary positions such as general managers, hosting managers and executive chefs,” said senior Brittney Phelps.

Barron’s — which was established in 1989 — guides its staff in understanding the hospitality business, while giving customers a legitimate dining experience on campus.

From a steak and egg breakfast to Panini sandwiches, everything in the restaurant ranges from $5.50-$6.50.

“Service is just really friendly, food is really good, and its just good prices,” said Patricia Tamez, a UH alumna who works at the University Career Services.

Upon closing, servers hand out the last checks of the day and begin to clean tables, while management gives a farewell to the exiting customers.

Service students have closing duties such as cleaning the kitcen until 2 p.m.

The foods II class write reports, evaluate servers, and complete an overview of the day by 3 p.m.

Barron’s is open Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m -1 p.m through Nov. 21 and is located on the first floor of the college’s south wing, next to Cougar Grounds.