Occupy Wall Street protests spread to Houston

The 99-percenter movement reached Houston this Thursday in the form of Occupy Houston — a grassroots movement which is “dedicated to ending the corporate corruption of democracy,” according to occupyhouston.org.

The protest began with a meet and greet in Market Square Park and continued with a march to JPMorgan Chase Tower before reaching its final destination at City Hall. All protestors were then given a chance to address the crowd, which repeated the message in order to amplify the volume without a permit.

Estimates of Thursday’s attendance ranged from 200 to 400 protestors, with many carrying signs displaying slogans ranging from “Reinstate Glass Steagall” and “Burn Your Credit Cards” to “I will believe corporations are people when Texas executes one” and “Bail Out Students, Not Banksters.”

UH was represented by members of many student groups including the International Socialist Organization, People Against Corporate Tax Evasion, Fair Labor Action Committee and Students for a Democratic Society. Other activist groups present included Houston Freethinkers, Houston Peace News and Infowars.com.

The protest was also heavily attended by the local media, including Fox, NBC, CultureMap, Houston Chronicle, WB and a helicopter from ABC 13.

When asked what the message of the occupation movement was, a spokesperson said it was “catalyzed around our frustration with corporate excess” as well as bailouts and lack of accountability among corporate CEOs, who she said “have swindled billions of Americans’ dollars and ruined their lives.”

She also encouraged all UH students who want to participate to join the discussion at occupyhouston.org.

Friday’s continued occupation brought local politicians Phillip Andrews and KP George, who were running on a grassroots platform that refuses special interest contributions.

Andrews, who is running for US Representative for House District 7, said “the day you start taking money from special interests, you stop serving the people.”

There have been no problems between the protestors and the police as of Friday according to one of the 10 Houston police officers monitoring Friday’s occupation. One officer went so far as to raise his arms in solidarity, which was loudly cheered by the protestors, as they marched to the JPMorgan Chase Tower.

Despite the recent bouts of rain, Occupy Houston is still active and holding general assemblies in which anyone is free to be heard.

Though numbers are down from the initial protest on Thursday, there are no plans to end the protest until demands are met.

• In 07 I made a documentary on my own time and dime called "America Speaks" driving around 48 states talking to thousands of Americans and asking them 5 questions pertaining to the economy, education, environment, healthcare and the war. Sent it to 650 member of congress and the 50 governors and got 6 responses. I knew then they didn't give a dam. They have their pension, their healthcare and their millions yet should they care about us? They have forgotten they work for US not the other way around; remember of the people, by the people and for the people. Its about time everyone stands up and fights for their rights. Go to http://www.letamericaspeak.com and see some of the documentary. Also one of those huge corporations has destroyed my life by selling gas ovens that put out too much co and poisoned my brain just for profit.

• AWESOME..I live a hundred miles to the east…I want to come…I wish we could have MILLIONS in the street…talk about getting the corporate puppetmasters to squirm, then…AND the CORRUPT prostitutes in our government!! It is WAY PAST TIME FOR THIS…AND I WANT TO HELP!!

• Occupy H-Town is so phony, if you ask them something on substance, they fall apart. The top end of any Socialist or Union Movement is always capitalists.

• It is about time that something like this happened, I hope it spreads from coast to coast. The people are not happy!

• This whole protest is a joke and doomed to be another meaningless action that proves nothing. If they hold 99% of the wealth then they hold 99% of the power, it's failure from the get go and waving signs in the heat on an issue few understand and have no faith in will achieve nothing. Empty words of support are useless as well. You need a lot more people than a paltry 200 to 400 people for any real change or attention.

If your going to be protesting might as well start some fights or have somebody get tazed so we can get some momentum and an interesting story going.

Go Coogs!

Go Coogs!

• The day is coming, and now their going to see the fire in our eyes. The corporate world wants to save money and buy cheap materials over seas and then charges us way more than it's worth then paying their employees crap and almost can't support them selfs. I would advise to buy all american stop using big banks and support the smaller all american companies. This country doesn't need anybody else, remember how we became great lets get back to it. theirs alot of things thst need to be changed so lets get this thing rollin and w can't wait for the government to step in because they dont give a f%#+ about us.

• As much as I like your "buy American" pitch and your romantic isolationist ideal for the future, the world economy doesn't function that way anymore…and we cannot just shut down all trade with other countries and expect to survive. Luckily, there is a time coming, in the not-so-distant future, when America will be forced to reevaluate the way our currency is linked to the rest of the globe, and we will have the opportunity to level the playing field and compete globally in the way we did in the past. It is going to be a hard lesson, but it will bring us back to simpler and more prosperouis times…like the ones we all long for.

• Would like information about joining in this protest. We live 75+ miles outside of Houston but would love to help make the corporations and the government know that this is a very serious problem. Our middle class is on the verge of collapse. Please let us know just how to participate….such as, where do we meet, is it everyday, do we march….and anything else that would help some teachers who are definitely in the 99% category add our comment on these conditions. Fieona

• You do realize that taxing corporations helps make the decision to offshore a lot easier, right? If GE has to pay 35% tax on the operations of factory here in the US, but only 15% on the operations of a factory in Vietnam, where do you think they are going to put their next factory? Their tax accountants and lawyers understand this, it'd be nice if the 99% did.

• I’m more than happy to uncover this web site. I want to to thank you for your time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to check out new things on your blog.