Staff Editorial

HISD member gay-bashes in election flier

HISD trustee Manuel Rodriguez is running for reelection in HISD District III against Ramiro Fonseca. Fonseca is gay, and Rodriguez made several mentions to that in one of his campaign fliers.

It is entirely inappropriate that Rodriguez decided to ridicule his opponent because of his sexuality. And, in a city as gay-friendly as Houston, Rodriguez should have realized that his attack would not float under the radar.

“His records show he spent years advocating for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender rights… not kids,”  reads one of the bullets on Rodriguez’s campaign material.

Another one says his opponent is a “54-year-old man with no children.” And, if that was not enough insinuation, another of the bullets says that Fonseca has a “male partner”.

Rodriguez claimed in an interview with Houston Chronicle that because Fonseca does not have any children, he is not as qualified for the position. But that is far from the truth.

In addition to working for the Houston Community College System as a financial aid associate, Fonseca is the president of the Houston Hispanic Forum. He said in an interview with The Examiner that he wants to focus on making HISD students more prepared for college. And, as the president of the Houston Hispanic Forum, he could be instrumental in preparing Houston’s Hispanic children to make the college leap.

“I am running for HISD school trustee because I believe our district is at a crossroads, and it needs someone with a clear vision on how to turn things around,” said Fonseca in an interview with The Examiner.

It seems that Fonseca has a “clearer vision” than Rodriguez. According to Khou.com, HISD recently passed an anti-bullying code designed to protect gay students. Rodriguez voted in favor of that code. How can Rodriguez expect teachers and school administrators to enforce policies he has voted in favor of if he does not follow those policies himself? The fact that Rodriguez cannot follow his own policy is an indication that he does not have a clear vision.

• It takes having kids to be a good HISD employee? How about all the childless educators among the teaching ranks? Maybe we should just fire them, while we're at this business of HISD stakeholders-must have-kids mindlessness. Tell it to Mayor, Anise Parker. Rodriguez may have heard she's one of those, you know, lesbians — sans children. He's obviously a homophobe with nothing better to bring to the job than cronyism and 1950s-style machismo. Hasta, buddy!

• Why is it that the Gay community see the flyer as hatred. If your status is gay than you are just gay, why not proud of being gay. If you are single you are single, if you are married you are married. Even on tax filling status and all legal documents we have to disclose our status. Where is the equality when we mentioned your status as gay consider as hatred….insane and disturbance. The difference between the Mayor and Mr. Ramirez is that she is honest and forefront about who she is and let the voters make that decision Vs. being ashamed of who you are and play a racist card. Also, she also has a bunch of experience in public service where as Mr. Ramirez his lacks of experience also count as the flyer stated. Therefore, he just gonna play the racist and hatred card instead.

• To Disturbance: Let me enlighten you. 1. The Chron dropped their endorsement of Rodriguez because he specifically targeted his opponent in a way which made his private life an issue. 2. Now, ask yourself, why should a person's private life be a matter to create bullet points and then distribute a flyer highlighting them? Hmmm. Why would a person do THAT, rather than just argue HIS own qualifications? Its called argumentam ad hominim. Fonseca didn't make his orientation and issue, Rodriguez did.That's the homophonic part. You're welcome.