Monday, June 25, 2018

Staff Editorial

HISD member gay-bashes in election flier

HISD trustee Manuel Rodriguez is running for reelection in HISD District III against Ramiro Fonseca. Fonseca is gay, and Rodriguez made several mentions to that in one of his campaign fliers.

It is entirely inappropriate that Rodriguez decided to ridicule his opponent because of his sexuality. And, in a city as gay-friendly as Houston, Rodriguez should have realized that his attack would not float under the radar.

“His records show he spent years advocating for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender rights… not kids,”  reads one of the bullets on Rodriguez’s campaign material.

Another one says his opponent is a “54-year-old man with no children.” And, if that was not enough insinuation, another of the bullets says that Fonseca has a “male partner”.

Rodriguez claimed in an interview with Houston Chronicle that because Fonseca does not have any children, he is not as qualified for the position. But that is far from the truth.

In addition to working for the Houston Community College System as a financial aid associate, Fonseca is the president of the Houston Hispanic Forum. He said in an interview with The Examiner that he wants to focus on making HISD students more prepared for college. And, as the president of the Houston Hispanic Forum, he could be instrumental in preparing Houston’s Hispanic children to make the college leap.

“I am running for HISD school trustee because I believe our district is at a crossroads, and it needs someone with a clear vision on how to turn things around,” said Fonseca in an interview with The Examiner.

It seems that Fonseca has a “clearer vision” than Rodriguez. According to Khou.com, HISD recently passed an anti-bullying code designed to protect gay students. Rodriguez voted in favor of that code. How can Rodriguez expect teachers and school administrators to enforce policies he has voted in favor of if he does not follow those policies himself? The fact that Rodriguez cannot follow his own policy is an indication that he does not have a clear vision.