Staff Editorial

Thank you for a great semester, happy holidays

As the semester winds down, The Daily Cougar has also reached the end of another printing schedule with today being our last day of production.

Though the newspaper will be working at reduced capacity during the holidays, we will still be offering coverage on our website before the start of next semester. But our next print edition will not be until the first day of school — Jan. 15.

This has been a semester of accomplishments for The Daily Cougar. Based solely on website traffic, our readership is continually increasing; a record-breaking number of more than 100,000 visitors visited www.thedailycougar.com during the month of October.

An increased social media presence on Facebook and Twitter is largely responsible for this increase in interest. Our staff is continuously trying to find new ways to reach people who are interested in the UH community.

It is more than articles and editorials — our website has featured multiple photo galleries and videos as a new twist on telling the story.

We were also awarded the 2011 Online Pacemaker Award from the Associated College Press. There are no plans to do away with our print edition, but we realize the changing dynamic of journalism requires media outlets to place a focus on an Internet presence.

Our goals are far from achieved, though, and we need your help to make us better. We are always in need of good editors, photographers and writers. Cartoonists and videographers should also apply if they are interested.

The Daily Cougar office is located in the UC Satellite, but there are a variety of ways you can reach us if you are interested in criticizing our work, sharing ideas or working with us.

The Cougar would like to wish all UH students the best of luck on their final assignments and exams — and the same to the professors who have to grade them. We would also like to congratulate those who are graduating during winter break.

Enjoy your time off, be safe in your travels and happy holidays.