Friday, April 20, 2018

Academics & Research

UH students meet Warren Buffett, take tour of Berkshire Hathaway

Warren Buffett encouraged 20 students from the Bauer School of Business to pursue careers they are passionate about rather than those that will make them a lot of money when they met earlier this month.  |  Courtesy of Bauer College Wolff Center

Warren Buffett encouraged 20 students from the Bauer School of Business to pursue careers they are passionate about rather than those that will make them a lot of money when they met earlier this month. | Courtesy of Bauer College Wolff Center

Twenty students from the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship at Bauer were given the opportunity to meet famed investor Warren Buffett on Jan. 13 in Omaha, Neb.

The students, who were chosen based on essays they had written about why they should be picked to go on the trip, met Buffett in person while touring the Berkshire Hathaway headquarters.

“I thought it would be sort of like an auditorium where he’d come in and leave but it was really an intimate setting where we were on the front row,” said Entrepreneurship senior Corinne Agrella. “It was the equivalent to a smaller classroom.

“It was nice to have such a setting that was conducive to him being there for us and wanting to be there.”

The students attended a question-and-answer in addition to lunch with Buffett and received investment advice.

“I think what was most valuable on the trip to Omaha was the fact that Warren Buffett is just like one of us,” Agrella said.  “He was just a really personable guy and really was there for the students.”

Buffett encouraged the students to do what they love rather than what will pay well.

“What Warren Buffett did is he made money by doing what he loved to do and he was just successful. He enjoys going to work every day that’s why he’s 81 years old and he still does all the stuff at his office,” entrepreneurship senior Louis McEneny said. “He’s not doing it for the money — he’s doing it for what it is and I thought that was one of the best things I learned from the trip.”

The students were accompanied by Ken Jones, the program’s director, and Melvyn Wolff, the center’s namesake and a board member for Berkshire Hathaway who personally and financially orchestrated the trip, Agrella said.

“It was a short trip but it was a fun trip,” McEneny said.

“Warren Buffett played his cards right and got lucky and we can do the same,” Agrella said.

Tags:

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?