Cougars learn from the best

Chris Thompson teamed with fellow Cougar Bryce Beall to help the National team win 20-14 in the inaugural NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

Even though UH’s season is over, Chris Thompson and Bryce Beall continue winning football games.

The pair played as a part of the inaugural NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, helping the National team earn a 20-14 win over the American team.

Beall carried the ball five times for 23 yards.

The players practiced under the tutelage of Super Bowl-winning head coach Dick Vermeil, and former-NFL players Priest Holmes and Will Shields.

Thompson described the three days of practice as a “lifetime of memories,” and cherished the opportunity to work under such an accomplished lineman like Shields.

“He’s a great guy, great coach and a great, even better player,” Thompson said. “Really, I got a lot from the game and from the coach Shields.”

The practices leading up to the game only lasted three days, but Thompson said that he soaked up so much knowledge and experience that it felt like an entire mini-camp.

“Mainly, I took a lot of it as this is another little step towards the NFL,” Thompson said. “It is that much closer to what I can expect.

“Coming from Houston’s style of offense, I was able to learn more about the pro-style offense.”

Thompson started three years as guard for the Cougars and started center as a senior. At the next level though, Thompson joked that he would play any position even fullback if it meant making the 53-man roster.

“I’ll play wherever they put me,” he said.

Leading up to UH’s Pro Day later this spring and the NFL Draft, Thompson will try to finalize his professional representation, continue training and also looks forward to graduating in May with a degree in sociology.