Crime

Student held up at gunpoint

The UH Department of Public Safety is located on the corner of Scott Street and Wheeler Avenue. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

An unnamed student reported to the UH Department of Public Safety at approximately 2 p.m. Sunday that he was robbed at gunpoint while walking down Holman Street near Scott Street.

The student said two unidentified black males between the ages of 20 and 30 drove up to him in a dark four-door car with a black semi-automatic handgun displayed from the driver-side window and demanded the student’s property.

“He handled it the best he could,” said UHDPS Chief of Staff Lt. Bret Collier. “He gave the men his wallet and his cellphone.”

The student was not injured, and the suspects fled eastbound on Holman toward Cullen Boulevard.

“We have a couple leads. Unfortunately, I can’t give away any specifics, but we’re making good headway,” Collier said.

Collier also reported that there is no indication the aggravation is part of a series of robberies, but seems to be a stand-alone event.

Collier says there are precautions students can take to remain safe at night on campus.

“You should always walk in groups and be aware of your surroundings,” Collier said.

“In the event of property being demanded from you, you should turn over your property, take in as many details as possible, get out of the area immediately and call the police as soon as you can. There is no wallet or cell phone more expensive than your life.”

• I think that’s pretty outrageous. 2PM? I guess it appears the student didn’t get the license plate number. I wonder if you can carry a concealed handgun and shoot back.

Walking in groups is not always possible btw. Plus we’re talking about Holman St. and Scott St. There should be absolutely no reason why that specific vicinity should be unsafe, even if it is on the fringes of 3rd Ward. I have taken the METRO bus a lot through the area to get to school from downtown, and I don’t think I’ve ever been threatened like that.