Golf

UH takes second at Gridiron Classic, compete in Huntsville

The UH golf team put together a solid final round to finish tied for second at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic in Sound Bend, Ind. | Photo courtesy of UH Athletics

Heading into the final round of play at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic, the Cougars golf team posted a team score of 291 to rally back and tie UNC Wilmington for second.

“We had a solid round,” said UH head golf coach Jonathan Dismuke said.

“We played some great golf in the middle of our round and put ourselves back into contention. I am really proud of our guys for their efforts throughout the round.”

It was the third straight top-three finish for the Cougars during the fall slate and second straight tournament in which three UH golfers finished among the top-20 individual leaders.

Juniors make an impact

Junior Jesse Droemer birdied his first two goals of the round and posted the Cougars’ lowest score of the day with a one-under-par 70. Droemer finished in an individual tie for ninth place at 218, his best finish of the season.

“Jesse had a great round,” Dismuke said.

“Anyone who came in under par Tuesday did a super job on the course.”

Droemer was one of only six players who finished the entire round under par after battling wind gusts up to 20 mph.

Junior Curtis Reed tied Droemer for ninth in his best finish of the fall season and a third straight top-20 tournament.

Junior Wesley McClain tied for 15th with a score of 219, sophomore Roman Robledo tied for 21st at 220 and sophomore Kyle Pilgrim tied for 28th with a score of 222.

Under Dismuke, the Cougars have compiled 14 top five finishes.

Michigan State held on to win the team championship by one shot with a score of 869, after holding an 11-stroke lead midway through the round.

Cougars compete near home

Closer to Houston, several UH golfers competed at the Harold Funston Invitational hosted by Sam Houston State at Raven Nest Golf Club on Monday.

Junior Bryn Flanagan led the Cougars with a score of 216 to finish seventh individually while senior Will Dusenbury tied for ninth at 219.

Elsewhere, freshman Andrew Ertel lowered his score each round and tied with Dusenbury for ninth at 219 and freshman Blair Hamilton took 13th at 221.

With only four golfers competing as individuals, the Cougars did not register a team score.

UH will compete for the last time as a team during the fall season at the Lone Star Intercollegiate hosted by UTSA from Sunday to Tuesday at Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club in San Antonio.