Academics & Research

Undergrads showcase research projects

More than 125 undergraduates, representing 11 colleges, showcased their latest research efforts on Thursday for the eighth annual Undergraduate Research Day.
“It is clear that the University of Houston community has embraced undergraduate research and created a culture that encourages the intellectual pursuit. This is critical in achieving Tier One status,” said John Antel, senior vice chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Each of the students had a faculty mentor — 150 faculty mentors were accounted for in total, not including those that helped with the administration of the event.
“This day would not be possible without the participation of our faculty. We, as a campus community, are all very grateful to you who mentor our undergraduates,” Antel said.
UH President Renu Khator stopped by the event to witness some of the presentations.
“I’ve seen six presentations so far, and all of them have blown me away. There is even a freshman who did her research the summer before she came to UH. I was so impressed. It is so important to dream for bigger things,” Khator said.
The Office of Undergraduate Research provides expanding educational opportunities to students throughout the University. The Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship offers $1,000 to conduct research while working one-on-one with a faculty member. The scholarship is available to juniors and seniors from all colleges and disciplines.
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program is a full-time, 10-week program, open to all continuing students that provides a $3,500 stipend to conduct research under the supervision of a faculty member.
Chemistry doctoral candidate Guedmiller Oliveira, using his fellowship to research proteins, feels that the research system should be more focused on undergraduate involvement.
“The undergraduate program needs to be more concerned about research. When I was doing my undergrad, I never knew about it. I asked myself back then, ‘What is research?’” Oliveira said.
Psychology senior Cassie Grochett is studying breastfeeding in the workplace.
“Research has helped so much in getting a better view and perspective for what I want to do in the future,” Grochett said.
Grochett said she wants to continue in her research, discovering how breastfeeding an infant or the lack thereof can affect neglect and abuse of children later in life. Ultimately, she wants to conduct research in a clinical psychology lab.
Karen Weber, director of the Office of Undergraduate Research, said she encourages students to get more involved with UH’s research programs and opportunities.
“The most important thing I tell all students is take the time to get to know a professor, learn about the research they do and learn about how they got in to pursuing an advanced degree,” Weber said. “They will have suggestions, they can guide you and that’s how you get your foot in the door. Go to lectures, go to seminars, really immerse yourself in your field and things will happen.”

Add Comment