Friday, September 21, 2018

Student Government

SGA passes bill to bypass Bandoh on Senate resolutions

While students dressed as ghouls and goblins roamed the University, the Student Government Association voted and passed a bill to allow the Senate to bypass SGA President Cedric Bandoh for Senate resolutions. They also received the power to pass University bills with Bandoh’s consent. 
The Legislation Classification Restructuring Bill was passed and the Senate will have the power to pass Senate resolutions without going through the executive branch.

Chair of Internal Affairs Sean Tarver spoke in favor of the bill.  The Senate needed its own voice, and Senate resolutions would provide that by allowing the Senate to go around the executive branch, Tarver said.

Bandoh said the senate resolutions would disrupt the balance of power.

“There should always be a balance of power across all three branches in the government. Giving the senate this power — while I understand they want to be able to state their own opinion — could subvert the power of the executive branch,” Bandoh said.

After voting to end all discussion, the senate passed the bill with 17 affirmative votes.

Next, a first reading was given of SGA Resolution 49008 in support of the 2012 Transgender Day of Remembrance. If passed, the resolution would recognize Nov. 17 as Transgender Day of Remembrance and bring awareness of the violence against transgendered people. The resolution was assigned to the Student Life Committee to review and edit.

Lastly, the senate approved the presidential appointment of Clement Agho-Otoghile to the University Hearing Board.

The next senate meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Rockwell Pavilion.

Edit at 11:30 a.m. on Monday: Senate resolutions can be passed without the executive branch not University bills.

Edit at 10:23 a.m. Tuesday: Senate resolutions are merely statements made by the Senate to show a separation of opinion between different bodies of the SGA.

Tags: , ,

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?