Keenum’s growth noted by Texans’ head coach Kubiak

Senior quarterback Case Keenum is the leader in many passing categories in the UH record books. In his final collegiate season he has an opportunity to knock out several NCAA records. He is also considered to be a candidate for the Heisman Trophy. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

Former quarterback Case Keenum is the leader in many passing categories in the UH record books. He now has a chance to showcase his skills for the Houston Texans. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

A year after becoming the most prolific passer in NCAA history at UH, former quarterback Case Keenum is beginning to impress his NFL coaches.

“He’s got an excellent chance to be a fine player in this league. This (offseason program) is very important for him,” said Texans head coach Gary Kubiak to the Houston Chronicle.

“I’ve been watching him every day — we’re in phase two (of the offseason conditioning program) and I see how far he’s come. He knows what we’re doing now. That stuff (playbook) comes a lot easier. You can see his talent take over.”

Keenum will compete in the Houston Texans’ rookie mini camp this weekend because he was on the practice squad last season. After a year in the system carrying the clipboard behind starting quarterback Matt Schaub, Keenum has learned a lot, Kubiak said. So much so, that his 6-foot-1 209 pound frame is not much of a factor anymore.

“We’ve talked about his size, but I think that’ll go out the window now,” Kubiak said. “I really like what he’s done. I plan on playing him a lot in preseason, and we’ll see how he does.”