UH looks to finalize locations for football home games
After deciding to play at Reliant Stadium for five of their seven home games, the Cougars will choose between Rice Stadium and BBVA Compass Stadium, home of the Houston Dynamo, for their final two contests where the venue hasn’t been decided.
UH announced that its final game of the season on Nov. 29 against SMU will be played at Reliant Stadium. Three home games against Southern (Aug. 30), BYU (Oct 19), South Florida (Oct. 31) and the annual Bayou Bucket against Rice (Sept. 21) were already planned to be played at Reliant Stadium.
The only two remaining games to schedule are against Memphis (Oct. 12) and Cincinnati (Nov. 23).
To rent Rice Stadium, UH would have to pay $115,000 per game, while the price for BBVA Compass Stadium is approximately $130,000 per game plus a $1.50-$3 ticket fee, according to the agenda for Monday’s board of regents meeting.
The financial terms of playing at Reliant Stadium were also released. UH will be charged a $75,000 license fee and a $85,000 facility fee based on an attendance of 30,000, both per game. There is an additional $2 fee for each attendee when attendance is more than 30,000.
Here are the other terms to the deal:
• UH will keep all ticket revenue except for suites.
• 1,250 parking spots will be provided for donor parking. All additional spots are $10.
• All parking and concession revenue will go to Reliant.
• 20 percent of merchandise sales will be paid to Reliant.
• SMG and Texans will promote game dates to respective fan bases to increase ticket sales.
• “Quick turn-around” field conversion for USF and SMU game will be determined.