State

UH named among top affordable online Texas colleges

Earlier this month, UH was named the 21st most affordable Texas school that offers online course by StateStats.org, in conjunction with partner website OnlineSchoolsTexas.com.

“We’re very excited for the opportunity to honor colleges and universities in Texas making serious strides in distance learning,” said communications and outreach manager for StateStats.org Matt Davis. “The University of Houston earned a spot on our list for its inexpensive tuition for in-state students and low student-teacher ratio.”

Analyzing data such as student-to-teacher ratio, in-state and out-of-state tuition, campus setting and program breadth, the two sites collaborated to create Top 25 Affordable Online Colleges in Texas. UH’s tuition rate for in-state students currently resides around $5,000 with a student-teacher ratio of 23-1.

“Personally, I think UH’s tuition rate is very reasonable,” said engineering sophomore Paul Garcia. “With my financial aid I get a refund that helps me pay for my textbooks and other things I might need for school.”

Other campuses on the list include UT Tyler, UT Arlington, Lamar University, Stephen F. Austin University, Blinn College and Texas Tech University.

According to the Babson Survey Research Group, more than six million students nationwide took at least one online class in 2011; this marks the ninth straight year of increased participation in online education.

“Online education remains on the rise in Texas, with colleges of all types incorporating distance learning into their curricula,” said vice president and general manager of StateStats.org Wes Ricketts. “We wanted to showcase the wide range of Texas schools helping students earn their degrees remotely.”

According to a press release given by the websites, OnlineSchoolsTexas.com strives to provide Texans with information about alternative post-secondary educational options, as well as information and advice regarding career choices in the state. While it recognizes the importance of traditional colleges and universities, OnlineSchoolsTexas.com understands that the landscape of education is changing and works to suit the needs of a broader student base.