Academics & Research

UH ranked among top 100 in the world for math and science

Wells

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics has been ranked in the top 100 NSM programs in the world and top 50 in the United States, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities.

The ARWU was released on Aug. 15 from Shanghai Jiao Tong University as part of the annual update of the top 500 world university rankings. ARWU has been presenting the top 500 world universities for the last decade using transparent methodology and reliable data and has been regarded as the most reliable and trustworthy of university ranking systems.

Houston’s movement into the top 100 is a big step from last year’s ranking, which only put the program in the top 200. The progress shows that the University’s programs are becoming more prestigious and are being recognized by the international community. The growth and development of the NSM program in particular is something NSM Dean Dan E. Wells knows only means good things for students.

“As UH continues to grow as a Tier One research university, these types of rankings will continue to raise the university’s stature among U.S. and world universities,” Wells said. “That’s good news for all UH students and alumni.”

ARWU’s ranking system examines the amount of alumni who receive awards in their field and the active staff’s amount of field awards. Highly cited research and papers published in credible journals are also calculated in making these rankings. All of these aspects are put into the perspective of the size of the campus and the amount of achievement per capita.

Students consider ARWU’s acknowledgement of NSM’s achievements something to be proud of.

“It will boost the value of my degree, which will surely improve my resumé,” said mathematics senior Gregory Malek.