Academics & Research

NSM dean search narrows down

Provost Paula Short announced Tuesday the final four candidates who will be considered for Dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

The candidates up for consideration are John Stufken, head and professor for the Department of Statistics at the University of Georgia; Dan Wells, current interim dean for NSM; Wolfgang Kliemann, professor of mathematics at Iowa State University; and Yang Wang, chair and professor for the Department of Mathematics at Michigan State University.

The search for a new dean started this past summer and is co-chaired by Vice Chancellor and Vice President for Research and Technology Transfer Rathindra Bose and Department of Physics professor Paul Chu. Executive search firm R. William Funk & Associates is also assisting in the search.

NSM is looking for a candidate who “will be an intellectual leader among the faculty, a strong advocate for the teaching and research mission of the College, a preeminent University citizen and an energetic and conscientious administrator familiar with challenges in higher education, natural sciences and mathematics,” according to a UH press release.

The finalists have been invited to visit campus during the two-week period of Oct. 14 to 30.