Events

Feeling the luck of the cougar

IMG_9386_Carolina_Fernandez_1

Students crowded the cougar statue and rubbed its paw for good luck in celebration of Homecoming week. The Homecoming board passed goods to increase school spirit. | Carolina Fernandez/The Daily Cougar

Assembling around the cougar statue, students rubbed its paw as a symbol of good luck for the Homecoming game.

Homecoming Week continued with Go Coogs Day in front of Lynn Eusan Park. Homecoming nominees Emma Baker, Anum Hassan, Channler K. Hill, Marrisa Marshall, Lauren Tolat, Westen Lewis, Ethan Tucker, Michael Szymanski, Mohammad Elsaodi and Taylor Vigil were introduced and cheered on as they walked across the stage.

The event was centered on Cougar spirit. Attendees touched the cougar statue for good luck during the Homecoming game, had their pictures taken and received free UH gear.

“Touching the cougar statue has always brought some good luck,” said public relations senior Shawnice Jackson. “I always rub the cougar paw right before a test, and it’s tradition to rub it for the Homecoming game.”

Members of the Homecoming Board took the opportunity as a chance to reach out to students and keep the energy high.

“It was great talking to everybody in line, answering their questions, and seeing everybody taking their ridiculous poses next to the Cougar statue,” said assistant director of communications for the Homecoming Board Meghan Meriano. “I love seeing everybody hyped up for Homecoming.”

Afterward, DJ Mon from Student Program Board mixed at Lynn Eusan Park while student athletes signed autographs.

“My favorite part about Homecoming is that we come together as a university,” said junior history major Liz Collins. “Everyone has their traditions, and we get to display them the whole week.”

Students were given Homecoming the rare Cougar Trading Card at the event.

“I really hope that there’s a great turnout at the game,” Collins said. “The amount of spirit that we’ve brought to these events needs to be displayed at the game so we can massacre BYU on Saturday.”