Men's Basketball

Cougars’ second-half surge tops Celts

UH struggled early but pulled away in the second half to defeat St. Thomas 81-63 its home exhibition game.

Junior forward TaShawn Thomas led his team with 20 points and 12 rebounds.

Sophomore guard Danuel House and junior forward TaShawn Thomas’ eyes were both focused on defense all night. | Caitlin Hilton/ The Daily Cougar.

The Cougars entered the second half up by six but jumped out to a 47-34 lead, forcing St. Thomas to call a quick timeout.

Head coach James Dickey said he told his team to use its size  as an advantage against the smaller opponent.

“(St. Thomas) was obviously not as big and strong as we are, but they’re skilled, they shoot the ball with confidence and swarmed us defensively,” Dickey said.

St. Thomas had three players in double-figures, but the Cougars jammed the ball inside the paint in the second half, helping them earn this victory.

UH hit a plethora of jump shots and layups,  but the inside-out game  complemented the shooting from behind the arc

Sophomore guard Jherrod Stiggers had four 3-pointers, and senior guard Brandon Morris scored 11 off the bench with three 3-pointers.

• They did look sluggish and not really into the game in the first half. Don’t know if it was because it was exhibition or against St. Thomas. The score was lopsided, but they’ll have to play much better than that to compete in the AAC.

• usually this time of the season, Hoffeinz is pretty empty. Let’s show up for our first game of the season this Friday 8pm.