Baseball

UH enters Minute Maid Classic after suspended game

The Cougars on hits all evening. But sophomore center fielder Ashford Fulmer's double in the eighth inning gave the Cougars against McNeese. The game will resume on April 29, 2013, because of rain in the ninth inning.| Emily Chambers/ The Daily Cougar

The Cougars struggled to hit all evening, but sophomore center fielder Ashford Fulmer’s double in the eighth inning gave the Cougars a lead against McNeese State. The game will resume on April 29, 2013, because of rain in the ninth inning.  |  Emily Chambers/ The Daily Cougar

UH will continue its matchup against McNeese State on April 29 after Tuesday’s game was suspended because of rain.

The Cougars had a 5-2 lead entering the ninth inning when rain came down. The delay lasted about 20 minutes before the game was called off.

The Cougars came back from a 2-0 deficit by scoring five runs in the eighth inning. Sophomore center fielder Ashford Fulmer brought in three runs on a double and took a 5-2 lead. Sophomore infielder Justin Montemayor tied the game with a two-run home run. The five runs scored is the highest earned this season. Stats will not be calculated until the conclusion of the final inning at McNeese.

UH, still with a 7-0 record, will play its 14th consecutive season in the Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park this weekend. The Cougars will play Texas Tech at 12:05 p.m. Friday, Texas at 3:35 p.m. Saturday and TCU at 5:05 p.m. Sunday in a three-day span.

Sam Houston State and Rice will also compete in the tournament, but the Cougars will not face either.