Events

Award-winning rapper B.o.B works the stage at Frontier Fiesta

PRINT-Sarah-Hoffman-1

Rap artist B.o.B performed popular songs such as “Nothin’ on You” and “Airplanes” as some students danced on stage. | Sarah Hoffman/The Daily Cougar

Students waited all week after seeing flyers across campus highlighting the rap artist who performed at this year’s Frontier Fiesta.

The Student Program Board hosted hip-hop recording artist B.o.B on Friday night at the Bud Light stage. Students crowded around to catch a glimpse of the artist, sing along and dance to his music.

Born as Bobby Ray Simmons Jr., B.o.B grew up in Georgia. Although he’s been traveling to get away from the cold weather, he felt that this show would turn out great because of the warm, breezy weather.

“I love when the weather is good, and I don’t have to worry about wearing a raincoat,” B.o.B said. “It’s always a good crowd when the weather is good.”

The bright lights and rumbling speakers on stage heightened the artist’s performance to create an unforgettable experience for the crowd.

Computer engineering technology senior Ogaga Ogbodu said the performance was well-planned and thought it reached out to the audience.

“I think the show’s great,” Ogbodu said. “I’m a big fan of B.o.B, and I like what UH is doing by bringing artists like this.”

B.o.B performed many of his hit songs, such as “Headbands,” “Airplanes” and “Nothin’ on You.” During the performance, the audience danced and sang along, and some were even invited to dance on stage.

B.o.B said he feels that his style of music has many forms to get his audience going.

“I can adapt to any type of song or any genre,” he said. “I think it’s because I listen to some type of music at the time, and I may go through a spill of just listening to EDM, or I might listen to rock music — whatever fits my palate at that time.”

Members of the audience brought glow sticks and waved their arms in the air to follow the rhythm of the music. Mathematics freshman Marisa Cortes sat on a friend’s shoulder to get a better view of the artist. Cortes said she enjoyed the show and feels that UH should have more similar events and artists.

“UH should definitely have more festivals like this,” Cortes said. “It’s a great way to get the school together, and things like this is what makes me feel that our school has pride.”

B.o.B was nominated multiple times and won awards for his hit tracks at the Teen Choice Awards and Soul Train Awards. He’s also appeared as a character in the video game “Army of Two: Devil’s Cartel.” B.o.B said he wants his audience to not only have a good time at his shows but to express themselves during that time.

“(This show) is supposed to be a very liberating type of experience,” B.o.B said. “That’s something that can’t be said or told. It has to be told over a body of work or over many bodies of work, and it is a story that is kind of unfolded as I brush through by different albums, different themes and concepts.”