Soccer

Cougars fail to pick up win over tough weekend

Brown_Jordan

Jordan Brown currently leads the American Athletic Conference in average saves per game as she has totaled 55 saves over 11 games.  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Cougars have had a bit of a rough season this year, as they have failed to pick up their first conference win.

Houston took on AAC opponents UConn and Temple over the weekend, picking up another loss and another tie.

Thursday’s game against UConn came down to the strong defensive play from both teams, as two periods of extra time couldn’t warrant a single goal. Junior goalkeeper Jordan Brown’s strong individual performance earned her the third shutout of her season.

The Huskies tried their best to take down the Cougars as they produced 18 shots, but the strong Houston defense forced UConn to commit seven offside penalties, with only five of the 18 shots being on goal.

Sunday’s game was a different story, as the Cougars fell 1-0 against the Owls after an hour and 23 minute long weather delay.

Brown tallied another seven saves in the game, bringing her weekend total to 12. Brown currently leads the American Athletic Conference in average saves per game with five after totaling 55 saves over 11 games.

Head coach Chris Pfau was expecting a tough challenge this weekend, but was hoping for results better than what was produced.

“I knew this was a tough weekend with UConn and Temple, who was in second place coming into this week,” said Pfau in a press release.

“We did a great job on Thursday with UConn and getting a result, but I was very disappointed in the performance in the first half of today’s game. We had a chance to show that we can compete in this league, and to come out as flat as we did was just not good enough.”

The Cougars look to pick up their first conference win from one of their final two away games of the season as they travel to East Carolina to take on the Pirates on Oct. 16, and then Cincinnati to play the Bearcats on Oct. 19.