Panel to discuss law center admission

The African-American Studies department will host its second annual law school panel for students interested in applying for law school at noon Tuesday in Agnes Arnold hall Rm. 210.

The law panel, which will be facilitated by UH alumnus and adjunct professor Eronn Putman, will include representatives from South Texas College of Law and Texas Southern University’s Thurgood Marshall School of Law. The panelists will answer questions about admissions procedures, financial aid and address any other concerns that students have.

“The objective of the law panel is to work toward retention rates and attack issues of debt for students,” said African American Studies Director James Conyers.

“The panelists are there to assist the students that are usually juniors and seniors looking for career opportunities.”

The department is hoping to make this year’s panel and available opportunities better than the last. The panel will focus on admissions requirements and processes, resume suggestions, and alternative methods to get into law school.

“Panelists talks to students about what they offer, expectation, and application procedures,” Crawford said.

“Then, they’ll take questions from students. This makes for an interactive and engaging seminar for students that have questions.”

Students are hoping that the panel will provide answers for questions that can’t be found on university websites.

“I’m hoping to gain insight and information to help me to decide if law school is right for me,” said communications senior Nkolika Ndukwe.

Conyers stressed the importance of going to a panel instead of only reading information that’s online.

“A lot of the query that’s raised about post-graduate programs is answered at the panel,” Conyers said. “These panelists can help students navigate through the paperwork and address their issues with specificity.”

• Wonder if they’ll answer questions about law school debt, employment, and job opportunities with specificity.