Activities & Organizations News

Center for Diversity and Inclusion opens it doors

On a campus as diverse as UH, it can sometimes be hard to find a group to fit into, especially one that has a similar cultural background. Students often overlook the opportunities to meet people who have had completely different life experiences and cultural backgrounds.

The newly opened Center for Diversity and Inclusion serves as a reminder to UH students about this opportunity. Director Niya Blair hopes UH students will be brought closer by the center.

“The first thing I hope is just cultural understanding and cultural competence,” Blair said.

“We know that we are the second most diverse institution of higher education, and that’s great, but how many times do we engage with each other? How many times are we celebrating who we are while also learning about others? That’s what I hope the Center will do.”

The center’s ribbon cutting ceremony took place on Wednesday at its location in the University Center South Rm. B12. Blair said she hopes the ceremony was the first step in something new for the University.

“(The Ribbon Cutting) symbolizes the beginning of all the greatness that the Center for Diversity and Inclusion will help do here at UH to help continue to make the University a success,” Blair said.

“It symbolizes the efforts that we will work in so far as diversity, centralizing some things, and creating some new things for our campus.”

Going to the center isn’t the only way to utilize the opportunities it offers. CDI is putting on several events in the coming months in an effort to bring students together so they can learn from one another. The Center will have multiple events in order to commemorate diversity throughout campus, including a Day of the Dead celebration from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday in Lynn Eusan Park.

“It symbolizes the efforts that we will work in so far as diversity, centralizing some things, and creating some new things for our campus,” Blair said.