Nation News

Experts predict Republicans will take it all in upcoming election

As the country speculates on the political makeup of individual states and the nation, many at UH voice assertions and confusion over what the midterms will bring and what the issues even are.

With Nov. 4 quickly approaching, many across the nation are rushing to the polls to vote in local, state, and federal elections. In Texas, Democratic State Senator Wendy Davis is running for governor against Republican Greg Abbott, who is currently Texas’ attorney general. Abbott currently leads Davis in the polls by double digits.

At UH, students expressed opinions, apathy, and confusion over the issues and who is running for what.

“I don’t vote because I’m not informed,” said journalism senior Danny Sanchez. “Because I’m uninformed, I consider it to be irresponsible on my part to vote.”

Others expressed slight dismay over the choice of candidates, yet still knew who they probably would vote for.

“I would probably vote for Wendy,” said English junior Tyler Al-Obaidi. “She is way more progressive.”

Political science senior Chloe Robert, showed more certainty on who she is voting for and why.

“She gives off a human vibe, and you feel as though she cares about you,” said Robert in reference to Davis.

But the Texas gubernatorial race is not the only election on the ballot this year. The race for lieutenant governor, attorney general, comptroller, state land commissioner, state agricultural commissioner, state railroad commission, various state legislature positions and a US senate seat are also on the ballot. But because of historical Republican dominance statewide, few expect Democrats to take any of these seats.

“Historically, we’ve been a conservative state,” said political science professor Richard Murray in answering why Texas voters typically vote for the more conservative Republican party.

Democrats claim that low voter turnout of their base is the reason behind their past failures in winning state-wide office. Latinos, who make up a sizable portion of Texas’ population, typically vote Democrat but are not expected to vote en masse this year.

“Latinos are not enthusiastic about supporting Democrats, especially after President Obama decided to defer any action on immigration [reform] until after the election,” said political science professor Jason Casellas. “Wendy Davis has not engaged Latino voters to the extent necessary to become competitive statewide.”

As the election looms near, many who are concerned with healthcare, gay rights, taxes, abortion, and other issues scramble to vote and advocate for their desired candidates. But with Democrats traditionally seeing low voter turnout for midterms and President Obama’s currently low approval rating, many agree that Republicans will do well this year.

“I honestly think they’re going to win the majority in the Senate and keep the House,” said UH Republicans President David Kochinski. When asked about the races in Texas, his reply was simpler: “The Republicans are definitely going to win in Texas.”

Democrats acknowledge the tough race ahead in Texas, but are confident Davis will be the state’s next governor.

“This election is going to be a tough one for Wendy Davis, but it will be possible if everyone goes out and votes,” said the UH Democrats Chief of Staff Jorge De La Fuente.