News Student Government

Day at the Capitol to let student voices be heard

Texas_Capitol_night-e1373222086904-300x170

UH Day at the Capitol is a chance for students to make their voices heard. | File photo/The Cougar

The Student Government Association is collaborating with UH and the UH System in an effort to allow students’ voices to be heard. UH Day at the Capitol is an opportunity for students to travel to Austin and visit legislative offices at the Capitol building on February 23. In addition, they can visit the House of Representative and Senate Chambers while legislators are in session.

Students will also have the opportunity to share their stories with Texas politicians in order to lobby for increased funding for UH and the UH System.

“This daylong event provides students with the opportunity to have a direct impact on their education, and that of the students of tomorrow,” said SGA Director of External Affairs Marcus Smith.

UH Day at the Capitol originated in 1995 with only alumni, faculty, administration and staff at the helm. Eventually, other system campuses joined in, and soon students were encouraged to participate.

“The University began to understand and realize that student leadership was a component that was missing and needed … due to students being a key group that is directly affected by the legislature and their decisions,” Smith said.

With higher education coming to the forefront of news since President Obama’s State of the Union address, Smith said UH has one thing to offer that other schools don’t: diversity.

“Our students come from various walks of life,” Smith said. “Lawmakers can hear from student residents to the students who juggle school and a full-time job and/or family life. SGA’s hope is to bring students’ opinions to legislators in hopes of influencing our elected officials to make better-informed policy decisions.”

The deadline to apply for a spot at this event is January 30. The application can be found here.