Baseball

Cougars ready to bounce back against Bobcats

Freshman shortstop Connor Wong has gotten his work in over the past two weekends as he has started in and contributed to every game.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Freshman shortstop Connor Wong is among the top performers for the Cougars, as he is currently hitting .308 with two home runs and ties for a team-leading eight RBI. | File Photo/The Cougar

Despite taking their weekend series against the Alabama Crimson Tide this past weekend, the Cougars are coming off an 8-3 loss after Sunday’s series finale. Houston now looks ahead to taking on the Texas State Bobcats on Wednesday, after weather pushed the game from its previously scheduled first pitch on Tuesday night.

The trip to San Marcos will be the Cougars’ first road trip of the season and their second mid-week game of the year as they picked up an 11-5 win over Texas Southern last Tuesday. The Cougars have the advantage going into the game Wednesday as the Bobcats earned their first win of the season to conclude a road series with the Wichita State Shockers this past weekend.

Freshmen have played a large part in leading the Cougars’ offense so far, as outfielder Zac Taylor leads the team with a .391 batting average and a team-high 11 runs scored. Shortstop Connor Wong is currently hitting .308 with two home runs and ties for a team-leading eight RBI.

The Cougars’ pitching staff has matched the strength of the offense as they have worked to a staff ERA of 3.00, showcasing 48 strikeouts and an average opponent batting average of just .251.

First pitch is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday in San Marcos, and the Cougars look to improve to 7-1 on the year with a win.