Sports Tennis

Houston falls to Mississippi State in first round of NCAA tournament, 4-2

The Cougars hope to hear their name called on April 29 when the NCAA tournament field is announced. It would be UH’s first appearance in the Big Dance since 1998 and only selection as an at-large team in program history.   |  Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

Senior Elena Kordolaimi had a strong campaign in her final year, setting new records in both dual match wins and dual match winning percentage. | File photo/The Cougar

A historic season for Houston tennis ended on Friday as the Cougars lost to Mississippi Sate 4-2 in the first round of their NCAA regional.

Senior Elena Kordolaimi captured a win on the second singles court, setting a single-season program record for both dual match wins and dual match winning percentage.

Kordoliami’s record improves to 33-6 in her last year at UH, while netting her 25th dual match win of the season.

In addition to dual match wins and winning percentage records, Kordolaimi also recorded the second-best overall winning percentage in a single season, with a .846 percentage.

On the top court, sophomore Deby Vogasari defeated No. 23 ranked Jasmine Lee, 6-4, 6-2, giving Houston their first point in NCAA post-season play since 1998.

The Bulldogs defeated Houston in the only two completed doubles matches, and took wins on courts three, five and six in singles to move on to the second round of the tournament.

For the Cougars, the season has been one of their best, as Houston sets new records with an 18-match winning streak, and defeating 11 ranked opponents on the season.

Houston went undefeated in conference play, with a 7-0 record against AAC foes in the regular season, while reaching the conference tournament finals for the second straight year.

Freshman Angela Lorenzo had a stellar season with Houston, going 18-4 in her singles matches and notching the fifth-best winning percentage in Cougar history.

Vogasari followed her strong freshman campaign with a great sophomore year, winning 30 singles matches on the season to just eight losses.

Following a record season, Houston will say goodbye to seniors Kordolaimi and Charlotte Phillips and will be looking to fill the void left by the two, next season.