Friday, September 21, 2018

Golf

Houston men’s golf tees off at NCAA Regional in Lubbock

After capturing four team titles this season, the Cougars are preparing for the American Athletic Conference tournament. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars had four players shoot under-par in the first round, helping them on their way to -10 first-round score. | File photo/The Cougar

Houston men’s golf hit the links in their NCAA Regional in Lubbock, and with four under-par performances on the day, currently sits second overall for the event.

Behind the strong play from senior Kyle Pilgrim, the Cougars shot a team-score -10 under par, trailing leader Texas by only one stroke.

In the first day of the event, Pilgrim shot five under-par, sitting second in the individual ranks after recording six birdies and one bogey on the afternoon.

Junior Blair Hamilton, making his first career appearance in the NCAA post-season, currently is tied for 11th in the event after shooting a 68 in his first round, putting him at -3.

Rounding out the sub-par performances for Houston, seniors Roman Robledo and Vincent Martino shot a pair of 70’s, putting them in at -1 under par.

Alan De Bondt, the fifth Cougar competing in Lubbock, shot a +4-over 75 on the day.

For Houston, this is the first time since 1987 that the Cougars have had four players register scores under par in a post-season regional.

At the conclusion of the event, the low-five teams and low individual not on those teams will proceed to the NCAA Championships in Bradenton, Fla.

Houston will tee off at 9:15 a.m. Friday, with each Cougar in a threesome set with golfers from first-placed Texas and third-placed Duke.

Tags: , ,

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?