Baseball Sports

Five Cougars taken in final day of MLB Draft

Junior first baseman Chris Iriart keeps the runner close at first base as he receives the attempted pick-off throw. | Kennia Martinez/The Cougar

Junior first-baseman Chris Iriart was the first Cougar off the board on a day when five players were taken. | Kennia Martinez/The Cougar

In the last day of the 2015 MLB First-Year Player Draft, five more Cougars were selected Wednesday, bringing the total tally to eight draftees by the 40-round event.

Juniors Chris Iriart, Kyle Dowdy, Ashford Fulmer, Ian Rice, and senior Taylor Cobb were drafted between the 12th and 29th rounds.

Iriart and Dowdy started the day for the Cougars in the 12th round, with Iriart going at No. 368 to the Oakland Athletics, before Dowdy was taken just two picks later, by the Detroit Tigers.

It was a while until another Houston player heard their name called, as Cobb was selected by the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim in the 26th round, the second Cougar to get drafted by that organization.

Fulmer followed in the 28th round, going No. 846th overall and to the San Francisco Giants.

The last Cougar to come off the board was Rice, who was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 29th round.

The five Cougar selections on Wednesday, combined with the three selections on Tuesday, is the most Cougars selected in the draft since 2000, when 11 Cougars were taken.

The class of eight draftees also marks the highest single-season mark under head coach Todd Whitting, topping the previous high of five from last year.

• Eight players drafted off the UH team was the highest number of players from the 3rd rated Conference by RPI; Most of those were Juniors……Four other teams had three players each drafted(UConn, UCF, USF, ECU). Tulane, Memphis and Cinn each had one….Good News, Great talent pipeline at UH but looks like the 2016 team will be a little bit of a rebuilding year with some returning proven players mixed with a very good recruiting class. More good things to come!!!