Democratic underdog Bernie Sanders to visit University

Generated by  IJG JPEG Library

The Vermont senator faces the problem of being a self-proclaimed socialist, something that makes voters uncomfortable. | Courtesy of Getty Images

Sen. Bernie Sanders will take the stage at 7 p.m. on Sunday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The event was originally scheduled at Cullen Performance Hall, which seats 1,612 people but was moved to Hofheniz which seats nearly 9,000.

Sanders’ website calls the rally a town meeting, and asks attendees to join as the candidate and local leaders “discuss how we get big money out of politics, deal with obscene wealth and income inequality, combat climate change and make college education affordable.”

According to a recent poll by Monmouth University, Sanders has risen 10 points in the Democratic field to 17 percent, whereas Hillary Clinton has fallen 9 points to 51 percent.

Sanders has been making waves recently, even though the campaign trail is still young. According to the New York Times, as of Thursday, he has raised $13.7 million, 81 percent of which comes from small donations.

These small donations have averaged below $50; Sanders has made a point of not using Super PACs.

Sanders’ website said his platform’s focuses are “creating decent paying jobs, income and wealth inequality, getting big money out of politics, climate change and environment and a living wage.”

His event is free and open to the public. Hofheinz Pavilion is located at 3875 Holman St.

• At least be honest. He runs for Senator as an Independent, caucuses with the Democrats and IS a Socialist. Spews all of the causes near and dear to college kids to get you mush-heads to vote for him. If you learn nothing else in your tenure here, learn to objectively look at both sides of a discussion and apply the discipline of logic, not vacillating emotion.

Minimum wage jobs were never supposed to be able to support you, only train you in the effort required to learn and move up. Income and wealth inequality doesn’t exist, only effort applied and outcome equality, both of which are entirely in your hands. This applies to the so-called Living Wage BS. You want more money, learn more salable skills and work your ass off. LEGAL immigrants do it every single day, why can’t you?

To continue to spout the BS about climate change in the face of over 15 years of real data is just insanity. The real data, not some political nonsense to make a buck, shows plateau and decrease, normal occurrences over time as borne out by the historical records.

• A honest Democratic Socialist running as a Democrat shocking I know, you prefer Hillary then? Or are you simply a misinformed Faux News fanatic? Calling college students mush heads for supporting political decisions that directly effect them and their children. Gosh we should all boycott higher education less we fall victim to critical thinking skills. If you objectively look at both sides of the discussion you will find that insane amounts of money are controlling our “democratic” election.

Yes minimum wage jobs were never supposed to support us, that’s why millions who lost good paying jobs are struggling to support their families with any job they can find. How is working in a dead end low paying job train you in effort required to move up? We gave high paying factory jobs away to China who are now automating said jobs. Way to go Capitalism! I don’t want more money, I want to need less money to support myself. If I wanted more money I would sell my soul and cheat the system which is what most politicians are doing these days.

As far as denying climate change you should talk to NASA http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ because apparently our smartest scientists are wrong, maybe you could help change their minds with that wonderfully fresh & insightful mind of yours.