Commentary Football Sports

Defensive line completely retooled for 2015

Football Practice WEB 2

The Cougars put emphasis on the physicality of their team, especially in Todd Orlando’s aggressive defensive scheme, but will he have the proper players for what he wants? | Michael Calderon/The Cougar

The while the linebackers in defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s 3-4 scheme will be the primary pass rushers and stat collectors for the Cougars, the defensive line is vital to stopping the run and keeping blockers occupied, allowing others to run free.

The defensive end and defensive tackle positions for the Cougars will look entirely different from last year’s group however, as many of the starters won’t be in the lineup this season.

“We lost some very talented guys last year and guys that not only were productive, but they were a big part, a big voice in terms of the leadership of this defense,” Orlando said. “That’s a little bit of a concern right now.”

Departed seniors Joey Mbu, Trevor Harris and Eric Eiland were all key pieces along the defensive line and will certainly be difficult to replace.

“We might have to create some different looks and different things,” Orlando said. “It’s a development of young guys, when we key in on what they can do really well then we will create some packages for them. “

A largely unknown group, the defensive line will be counting on players across the board to step up in order for the defense as a whole to build on the success of last season.

“We just have to know that people leave and that slack has to be picked up either way,” junior defensive end Cameron Malveaux said.  “Someone has to be a leader. Me, Tomme Mark and B.J. Singleton are just trying to be better leaders.”

DE Cameron Malveaux (6’6”, 270)- Entering his junior year, the Beaumont native will be in prime position to be a day-one starter, having played in all 13 games from a reserve role last year.

During his time in the rotation the past two years, Malveaux has flashed potential, but has yet to put it all together- collecting just 27 tackles in that time.

An excellent student-athlete while at Hamshire Fannett High School, Malveaux was his school’s top defender on the basketball court and lined-up at tight end in addition to playing defensive end, so he still has some room to grow into his role on defense despite his massive 6’6” frame.

DE Chauntez Jackson (6’4”, 265)- Coming to UH as a three-star recruit out of Inglewood, Calif., Jackson was highly ranked by several national prognosticators, but has yet to live up to the hype.

The junior DE has served mainly as a backup and a special teams contributor thus far in his collegiate career and has not seen many opportunities come his way, totaling just three tackles and zero sacks.

Jackson is one of the more experienced players on a rebuilding defensive line however, giving him his chance to show why he was a top rated prospect.

Defensive tackle B.J. Singleton (6’4”, 290)- During his time as a backup behind the talented Mbu, Singleton has showed glimpses of his potential to be a highly disruptive force in the middle of Orlando’s defense.

In his first year on the field, he led the team with three blocked kicks and even came up with an interception while a member of the DT rotation.

In his sophomore season, the Louisiana native made 11 starts, compiling 22 tackles, three for a loss, three defended passes and a sack.

A former standout basketball player in high school, Singleton brings excellent feet and hands for his position and should be the clear favorite to lockdown the nose tackle spot in the 2015 season.

Best of the rest- This group is spearheaded by seniors Tomme Mark (6’2”, 285) and Melvin Holland (6’1”, 295), but will be primarily made up of first year players who will be complete unknowns heading in the season.

Redshirt freshman Zach Vaughan (6’4”, 245) is perhaps the most intriguing of the young players, having racked up an impressive high school career at McNeil High School in Round Rock, coming up with 175 total tackles, 35 going for a loss, 15 sacks and five forced fumbles in route to all-district honors his sophomore and senior seasons.