Houston offense explodes against Texas State

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0566

The Cougars gained 689 total yards of offense, and junior running back Ryan Jackson, left, was one of four Cougars to record over 60 yards rushing, collecting 66 yards and one touchdown on nine carries. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars avenged a home-opening loss against the Texas State University Bobcats in the 2012-2013 season with a 59-14 slaughter Saturday night.

The Cougars had a hot start, taking their opening drive of the game the length of the field for a score.

Junior quarterback Greg Ward, Jr. connected with junior transfer receiver Chance Allen along the right sideline for a score, giving the Cougars the first score of the game.

Despite scoring on that drive, the Cougars offense stalled a bit for a portion of the first quarter, as UH and Texas State traded possessions back and forth.

After the game, head coach Tom Herman praised the play of his defense and talked about the progression on offense.

“Good team win,” Herman said, “Hats off to our defense, another game with four turnovers…The offense clicked a little bit, we still gotta get better in the red zone…but those are all things we can correct.”

This game was an offensive onslaught for Houston, which saw them put up 35 consecutive points to end the half.

Ward, Jr. did a great job mixing the pass and the run in the first half, and distributing the ball to his receivers.

The defense also had a strong first half, forcing three turnovers, including a pick-six by senior corner back William Jackson III at the end of the first half, which pushed the Cougars lead to 42-7 before the break.

The Cougars added a field goal off the turnover, as well as a touchdown in their ensuing drive, as Ward, Jr. rushed for his second score of the night and his sixth overall touchdown, a career-high for him.

Junior quarterback Adam Schulz took over for Ward in the Cougars next drive, but a leg injury in the red zone forced him out of the game.

Ward, Jr. was had a career night in the backfield, with spectacular displays both on the ground and in the air.

Ward, Jr. completed 81 percent of his passes on the night, going 17-21 with four touchdowns and 274 yards, and added 91 yards on ten rushes and two rushing touchdowns.

Wide receiver Demarcus Ayers recorded his second 100-plus yard receiving game, as he hauled in eight receptions for 126 yards and two scores, and Allen added his first score as a Cougar to go with his 49 receiving yards.

The four turnovers forced on the defensive side of the ball moved their total to plus-seven on the season, continuing the trend from the past few seasons.

The Cougars continue on the road next weekend as they travel to take on the University of Tulsa in their first conference test of the season with a planned 11 a.m. kickoff.