AP Poll: Cougars find themselves among the elite in latest rankings

512px-Associated_Press_logo_2012.svg

In the week seven AP Poll, the Cougars finally saw their hard work pay off, as they sit ranked 24th in the nation. | File photo/The Cougar

With the Cougars continuing their winning streak against the Southern Methodist University Mustangs, UH was finally rewarded for their hard work with a spot in the Top 25.

The Cougars found themselves in the 24th spot when the poll was released on Sunday, their first time in the rankings since 2011.

Overall, the Ohio State University remained in first, but saw their lead again shrink, as they now hold just 27 first place votes, 11 fewer votes than last week.

Baylor University jumped up into second place this week, picking up 13 first place votes, while Texas Christian University dropped to third after struggling against Kansas State University.

The University of Utah and Clemson University each moved up a spot in this week’s poll into fourth and fifth place respectively, with Utah garnering the second most first place votes in the poll at 16.

The University of Oklahoma experienced the biggest drop in the polls this week, as the previously-10th ranked team fell to the 1-4 University of Texas Longhorns in the Red River Shootout.

The University of Michigan Wolverines jumped the most spots in the poll, moving from 18th all the way into 12th place after shutting out the Northwestern University Wildcats, 38-0.

Two teams dropped from the rankings, as both the University of Southern California and University of Georgia suffered losses last weekend.

The Cougars are the only American Athletic Conference team to be ranked in the top 25, but both Temple University and the University of Memphis sit just outside the rankings with the most and second-most votes received of non-top 25 teams.