Free Houston events to try out this week

If you are a broke student who likes to spend more than they can earn, the outcome can be haunting and filled with the consumption of noodles. Thankfully, there are a few events circulating the city that won’t cost a buck, including free shows, wine and cultural experiences that won’t hurt your wallet.

Wednesday: Find new cultural experience in BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir

9 a.m.—9 p.m.

1150 Brand Lane

Stafford

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Houston is the first traditional Hindu Mandir of its kind in the nation, and it is free for the public on the weekdays. It’s a haven for spirituality and a place of paramount peace. It is also a center vibrant with social, cultural and spiritual activities.

The temple is made with two types of stone. The exterior has Turkish Limestone and interior are carved in Italian marble. More than 33,000 hard-carved individual pieces were shipped to the USA from India and assembled in Stafford. Once you step into this eccentric piece of architecture, it’s hard to believe you’re still in Houston.

Thursday: Take a stroll to look at the new collections at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston 

7 p.m.

Beck Building

5601 Main Street

Houston

If you didn’t already know, MFAH is free on Thursdays, sponsored by a grant from Shell Oil Company. So go check out Art Bite: “Love, Romance, and Everything in Between,” where many of the greatest works of art throughout history are rooted in love—and lust. These artifacts range from the beauty of muses and the human form to off-limits lovers and desires.

Friday: Free wine tasting provided by Houston Wine Merchant

5:30 p.m.

2646 S. Shepherd Dr.

Houston

Frankland Estates was founded in 1988 and it is known to produce some of the best Rieslings and Shiraz out of Western Australia. On Friday, those who present their ID can get free samples of the several selections from Frankland Estates’ fine wines.

The winery takes its name from the Australian wine region of Frankland River. Frankland River is located in Western Australia just south of Perth and east of Margaret River. It’s one of the coolest and most isolated regions in Australia.

Saturday: Muhammad School of Martial Arts gives you free lessons

2 p.m.

2511 Holman Street

Houston

Project Row Houses is a community-based arts and culture non-profit organization in the Third Ward, where artists wanted “a positive creative presence in their own community.”

Artist Nsenga Knight has collaborated with Third Ward’s Five Element Kung-Fu Wusu to present free martial arts classes to the public every Saturday from 2-3 p.m. Classes will be taught by Mwalimu Bomani, who began studying martial arts at age 13.

Saturday: Bring your friends and a blanket to see “The Book of Life” at Discovery Green

6:30 p.m.

1500 McKinney

Houston

A young man, Manolo (Channing Tatum) embarks on an adventure that spans three fantastic worlds where he faces his greatest fears while being torn between fulfilling his parents’ expectations and his own.

Catch this free flick in the shadow of Houston’s skyline. Blankets, lawn chairs and picnics are welcome. Beer, wine and concessions are available for purchase. No glass containers or outside alcoholic beverages.