Conference roundup: Cougars, Bulls, Midshipmen get crucial wins in conference play

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_7722

The Cougars improved to 10-0 overall and 6-0 in the AAC with their win over the Memphis Tigers. | File photo/The Cougar

Week 11 of the college football season saw some dramatic finishes and surprising upsets in the American Athletic Conference, with two teams rising to the top of each division.

Houston and Memphis

The Cougars hosted the University of Memphis Tigers, looking to maintain their undefeated season, while the Tigers were looking to rebound from a loss against the United States Naval Academy.

After the first half, it looked like it would be Memphis who walked away with the win, but behind backup sophomore quarterback Kyle Postma, UH was able to pull the come-from-behind upset win 35-34.

UH improved to 10-0 with the victory and 6-0 in the AAC, while Memphis dropped to 8-2 on the year and 4-2 in conference play.

Navy and SMU

Coming off a 25-point victory over Memphis, Navy was looking to avoid an upset while hosting Southern Methodist University.

The Midshipmen got going early, and carried a 28-7 lead into halftime, which they expanded on in the second half en route to a 55-14 win.

Senior Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds set the record for most career rushing touchdowns during the game when he notched his 78th score.

Navy moved to 8-1 overall and 6-0 in conference with the win, while SMU dropped to 1-9 and 0-6 respectively.

South Florida and Temple

The University of South Florida Bulls hosted the Temple University Owls in a do-or-die game for their conference championship hopes.

Despite the Owls coming in as one of the best teams in the AAC, the Bulls surprised them, giving Temple their first conference loss of the season 44-23.

With the win, USF now sits at 6-4 overall, but 4-2 in the AAC, while Temple drops to 8-2 this season with a 5-1 mark in the American.

Tulane and Army

Tulane University hosted the United States Military Academy in their final out-of-conference game of the season and escaped with a 34-31 win, ending a five game losing streak.

The Green Wave improved to 3-7 with the win, while remaining 1-4 in the AAC.

Cincinnati and Tulsa

The University of Cincinnati returned home after their close lose at the hands of the UH and looking to get back on track against the University of Tulsa.

The Bearcats high-flying offense again was the story of the day, as they racked up 49 points to coast to the victory over the Golden Hurricane.

Cincinnati moved to 6-4 with the win, improving to 3-3 in the AAC, while Tulsa dropped to 5-5 on the year with a 2-4 record in conference.