Activities & Organizations News

Go Vote Texas hosts millennial rally

Go Vote Texas hosted their millennial voters rally Monday night at Calhoun’s Rooftop in an effort   to get students and young adults immersed in the presidential and state elections.

Millennials were welcomed to free food, live performances and a panel discussion comprised and led by members of Student Government Association, Texas Young Democrats and Texas Young Republicans.

“We chose University of Houston because this is where the presidential debate will be held a week from today, and it just so happens to be Presidents Day,” L.J. Woodard, Go Vote Texas program director, said. “We want students to be aware of their political power and to know that they, too, have a voice in the community.”

The slew of panelists touched on student debt, modern technology’s role in the election and the perplexity and lack of interest when comes to millennials and politics.

“It’s redundant and immature when young people are frustrated and constantly complaining about controversial topics,” political science senior John Seydler said. “When it’s so easy to go out and vote.”

A 2014 survey conducted by the Reason Foundation showed 52 percent of millennials identified as independent, a third as Democrats and 16 percent said they were Republican.

The survey also found that young adults prefer to discuss politics and issues pertaining to gay marriage, legalizing marijuana and abortion but fall short on topics like economics and socialism.

“You’re going to miss a lot of young people wanting to vote because many things going on in the country aren’t directly effecting us,” Rooftop employee Christopher Trent said. “Millennials up until a certain age depend on our parents. Once things starts to negatively effect us, then we’ll be upset and wish we would have voted.”

According to the Research Foundation, millennials have the potential to remake American political attitudes as they mature over the next decade and economic issues become relevant.

“I understand that there are so many polls taken on millennials,” Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee said. “My point is that they must find their power. Voting and empowering yourself with facts is your power. I believe that in time you all will find that place and see the importance of voting.”