Saturday, June 25, 2022

Softball

Softball travels to 17th-ranked Arizona for weekend series

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4444 (1)

With back-to-back wins under their belt, the Cougars will be looking to extend their winning streak against the 17th-ranked Arizona Wildcats. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

After a 4-1 win over McNeese State University on Tuesday, the softball team is preparing to play the 17th-ranked University of Arizona Wildcats this weekend.

The Cougars are looking for their third straight win after snapping the 23-game winning streak of the 23rd-ranked University of South Florida Bulls and the midweek home win over McNeese State.

The Cougars sit at 18-18 on the season, with a 2-4 record in the American Athletic Conference, while the Wildcats come in with a 25-12 record overall.

In their midweek game against the Cowboys, the Cougars offense found its momentum behind the power of freshman catcher Brooke Vannoy, who went 2-3 from the plate and jacked two solo homeruns. Another outstanding freshman, Savannah Heebner, went 3-3 on offense, including driving in an RBI.

Senior pitcher Julana Shrum pitched all seven innings for UH, allowing just six hits and one earned run in the complete game effort.

Arizona is coming off a sweep of New Mexico State University in a double-header on Wednesday, including a 10-2 run-rule win in five innings in the back half of the night.

The Cougars and Wildcats’ three-game series begins Friday at 8 p.m. CST in Tucson, Arizona.

Tags: , ,

• COVID-19