Weekend Preview: Seasons winding down for several Cougar programs

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4530 (1)

Despite opening the conference season 3-3 in the AAC, the Cougars will be looking for a big weekend on the road against the Huskies. | File photo/The Cougar

It’s a big weekend for all Houston athletics teams, especially football, as it plays the annual spring football game Saturday at 2 p.m. inside TDECU Stadium.

After a midweek win over the University of Texas Longhorns, the Cougars will look to carry that momentum into the weekend against the conference foe University of Connecticut Huskies. Houston is 3-3 in American Athletic Conference play and return to league action after earning a weekend series win over the University of Central Florida last weekend at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park.

The softball team is in action this weekend at Cougar Softball Stadium after an action-packed, doubleheader split against 19th-ranked Baylor in the 10th Annual Striking Out Breast Cancer game. The Cougars continue American Athletic Conference play this weekend as they host the UCF Knights.

Men’s and women’s track and field will once again split up this weekend. Part of the team will head west for the Mt. Sac Relays in Norwalk, California, while other athletes will stay in Houston to compete at the J. Fred Duckett Twilight Invitational on Rice University’s campus.

The nationally ranked men’s 4×100-meter relay teams will also be back in action. The Cougars have four different 4x100m teams ranked within the top 25, and eight within the top 70. The Cougars will send three of those teams into competition this weekend.

Men’s golf finishes up the 2015-16 regular season this weekend at The Maxwell Invitational at Dornick Hills Country Club in Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Cougars will be part of an elite 11-team field which includes eight of the nation’s top-50 program. The two-day, 54-hole tournament begins at 8 a.m., Saturday, with a shotgun start for the first 36 holes.

Women’s golf will compete in American Conference Championships starting Sunday in Palm Coast, Florida, a three-round tournament which concludes on Tuesday.