Five things to look forward to this week

Embed from Getty Images

Despite the weather, there are still events happening on campus this week to help you start your week off right, including Earth Week kick-off events like learning about the 21st century World Water Crisis and a presentation by the founder of To Write Love On Her Arms. Check out this week’s five things.

Tuesday: Diversity Workshop: Power and Priviledge

Student Center South Room 219

Noon to 1:30 p.m.

This workshop welcomes all students to come in and talk about the dynamics of power and privilege in society, as well as how communication and analysis can help the community rise above the barriers to better help one another in the future.

Tuesday: Student Feminist Organization Meeting

Women and Gender Resource Center

5 to 6 p.m.

The Student Feminist Organization invites both women and men to discuss relevant topics about women’s rights. Issues related to gender, sex, race and socioeconomic status will be discussed and analyzed. These meetings are held every week at the same time, so if you can’t make it tomorrow due to the weather, you can come in next week.

Wednesday: Documentary screening of “Flow”

Lynn Eusan Park

6 to 8 p.m.

If you’re feeling like hanging outdoors with your friends, Metropolitan Volunteer Program has the activity for you. MVP will be screening “Flow,” a film that follows the politics and increasing controversy surrounding bottled water. The award-winning documentary by Irena Salina looks in-depth into the issue of World Water Crisis.

Wednesday: To Write Love On Her Arms

Student Center South Theater

6:30 to 9 p.m.

Founded in 2006, the nonprofit organization To Write Love on Her Arms dedicates its talks and support for those who need help as they deal with depression, anxiety, addiction and suicidal attempts.

The guest speaker, Jamie Tworkowski, is the founder of the organization and will speak to students and staff members about his organization which will be followed by a Q&A. This event is part of this semester’s Residential Life Lecture Series.

Thursday: Graduating Seniors & Alumni Networking Reception

Student Center South Houston Room

4 to 7 p.m.

For all those graduating this semester, the Graduating Senior & Alumni Network Reception will put forward a reception-style event to allow students to network with one another. All academic majors are welcome to attend, and they can also enjoy complimentary snacks and drinks during the event.

What better way to develop your networking contacts than with fellow Cougars? Those who do come are advised to arrive on time.