Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Women’s tennis draws UCF in AAC tournament

WEB-Justin-Cross5_DSC8247

The Cougars had a down year by recent standards, finishing 5-18 on the year. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

After finishing the regular season with a 5-18 record, including an 0-2 mark in American Athletic Conference play, the Cougars will play the University of Central Florida Knights in the first round of the AAC Championship Tournament on Thursday.

The Cougars drew the fifth seed in the tournament, while the Knights earned the fourth seed after finishing 12-6 overall with a 3-2 record in AAC play.

UCF enters the tournament winners in eight of their last ten outings, while Houston enters on a three-game losing streak.

In its last time out, Houston dropped its senior-day match against the University of North Texas, 5-2.

Injuries have riddled the roster this season and forced the Cougars to play undermanned for much of the year.

The winner of the match between Houston and UCF will face the winner of the match between the top-seeded University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane and a play-in match.

The Cougars and Knights are scheduled to play on Thursday at noon, with the semifinal matches taking place on Friday. The tournament concludes on Saturday with the championship match.

Tags: , ,

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?