Construction News

Katy satellite groundbreaking delayed to 2019

Students pass this construction site on their way to the University Center. | Jack Chaiyakhom/The Daily Cougar

The UH Katy campus construction has been delayed, but the satellite is still on track to open in 2019. | File Photo/The Cougar

Groundbreaking for a new University of Houston campus in Katy set to break this month has been pushed back to next spring due to land acquisition delays, said University spokesman Mike Rosen.

The acquisition for the new campus, which is still set to open in 2019, took longer than expected because the University was ensuring that it correctly resolved all deed restrictions, resulting in extended negotiations with current and prior land owners, Rosen said.

“We are in what is technically called the programming stage, determining who will have what space within the facility,” Rosen said in an email. “However, the facility remains on track for the scheduled opening in 2019.”

According to Community Impact, about 2,000 students from UH and UH Victoria are expected to take classes at the new 46-acre campus. The school will offer undergraduate degrees in nursing, business, computer science, special education and engineering, as well as graduate courses in psychology, computer science, nursing, engineering, math and political science beginning in the fall of 2019.

UH purchased the land for $13.8 million from a private equity firm called Parkside Capital on Nov. 2. The new campus will be located inside a 125-acre development called University Center in northeast Katy, Community Impact reported.