Brown should consider staying

Like every young baseball player, Houston pitcher Aaron Brown has dreams of someday making a name for himself in the major leagues. After being drafted in the ninth round of this year’s major league draft, the junior right-hander is one step closer to that goal.

Brown, who was selected No. 285 overall by the Seattle Mariners, could forego his senior year at Houston, sign a professional contract and head straight to the minor leagues.

However, the general consensus is that Brown, 21, could use another year of seasoning at the collegiate level. A 6-6, 200-pound fireballer, Brown possesses a frame that major league scouts admire. He has immense potential, but rarely showcased it while in Cougar uniform. He filled a variety of roles, including the pressure-packed one of closer, but was only mediocre at best in each.

This season, Brown went 6-6 with a 4.98 ERA and two saves in 20 appearances (15 starts) while serving as the Cougars’ Friday starter. In comparison to his 2006 numbers (1-3, 6.07 ERA, one save, 28 appearances), that’s only a slight improvement.

However, if Brown were to return, he’ll have to battle for a spot in the starting rotation. Junior right-handers Ricky Hargrove (8-6 in 2006) and Dereck Cloeren will be back after spending much of last season on the inactive list with shoulder injuries. Sophomore pitcher/catcher Luis Flores should also figure into the rotation along with redshirt freshman southpaw Wes Musick (6-5, 3.00 ERA, 73 strikeouts). Freshmen John Touchton and Donnie Joseph will vie for spots in the rotation.

This means Brown could be headed back to the bullpen. If so, maybe head coach Rayner Noble would consider giving him another shot at closer. The Cougars haven’t had a shutdown closer since current Washington Nationals pitcher Ryan Wagner in 2003, and Brown has the stuff closers are made of. His fastball sits in the 88-90 miles per hour range, but scouts believe he could throw harder if he doesn’t short-arm pitches. He features a quality curveball.

Brown’s biggest fault is the inability to shake off bad outings. He pitched poorly down the stretch this season, and finished with losses in four of his last five starts. He also struggled at times with command, and issued a team-leading 46 walks. With another season of college ball, he could rid himself of these mechanical and mental flaws.

As a ninth-rounder, Brown stands to receive a signing bonus ranging from $65,000-$75,000. If he pitches substantially better as a senior, he could be drafted higher in 2008 and warrant a larger bonus.

Now, if Brown doesn’t trust that he could perform better next season, he probably should sign while the money’s on the table. However, conventional wisdom says he should return to school.