Staff Editorial: Republicans could gain youth vote if Dems don’t take charge

A New York Times/CBS News/MTV poll suggests that America’s youth have mixed attitudes toward their country and their own future, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

And while the poll results indicate that the youth population leans toward the left, conservative opinions are being held. Simply put: The youth doesn’t bow to a specific party platform.

The poll covers a wide range of issues from the war in Iraq to abortion and same-sex marriage and the possibility of a minority president.

Forty-four percent of young Americans said same-sex marriage should be allowed; 62 percent said they would support a universal health care insurance program that’s sponsored by the government; and 30 percent have favorable views for an open door policy on immigration, an issue that Congress is dealing with in this session.

Fifty-two percent said that Democrats, not Republicans come close in sharing their ideals. And while Democrats have had a history of catering to them, the Dems shouldn’t take the youth vote for granted.

In elections, nothing is ever guaranteed until the last ballot is counted – and even then the results might be contested. If Democrats want to take the White House in 2008, the party itself must listen to the needs of young Americans and sell themselves to the full extent of their ability.

Fifty-one percent said the United States was very or somewhat likely to succeed in Iraq, and only 37 percent said abortion should be generally available. A small conservative presence exists in the youth bloc, perhaps large enough that it could one day turn the tide and revitalize another conservative revolution in the national scene.