Floyd receives top Conference prize

Former Cougar sprinter Ebonie Floyd ended her collegiate career last month at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, but the awards haven’t stopped coming.

Floyd was named the Conference USA Female Athlete of the Year on Wednesday, marking the first time a track and field athlete has claimed the honor since it was first awarded in 2003-04. Rice baseball pitcher Joe Savery was named the C-USA Male Athlete of the Year.

Floyd’s recent accomplishment marks the third time a University of Houston athlete has won the accolade. Baseball player Brad Lincoln (2005-06) and women’s basketball player Chandi Jones (2003-04) are the only other Cougars to win the award.

Floyd, a Hastings product, was named C-USA Female Track and Field Athlete of the Year earlier this season. It was her second consecutive year receiving the accolade.

She was also named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association South Central Region Female Track Athlete of the Year and an indoor and outdoor NCAA All-American.

The Houston native capped her impressive collegiate career with a second-place finish in the 100-meter dash and a third-place finish in the 200-meter-dash at this year’s NCAA Championships.

In the previous meet, the NCAA Midwest Regional, Floyd wowed the crowd with a run for the ages. She ran the 200 in 22.32 seconds, the second-fastest 200-meter time in the world. Her time also set a Midwest Regional record.

Floyd also established three records at the C-USA Outdoor Track and Field Championship meet in May. That performance earned her Female Athlete of the Meet and Female High Point Scorer of the Meet honors.