OSS gets students off on the right foot

Not all elementary school students are able to start the academic year fully equipped with the proper and necessary tools for success.

To help assist disadvantaged students statewide, Operation School Supplies has launched an ongoing donation campaign that will run until July 27 and features members of the UH community.

"This is a chance for the University faculty, staff and students to come out and volunteer, and a chance to be part of a great program for the benefit of the Houston area and our future alumni and Coogs," Assistant Director for Student and Young Alumni Programs for the Houston Alumni Organization Jamie Ochoa said.

Donors may contribute school supplies to numerous drop off points on campus, including the Women’s Resource Center in the University Center Satellite, Student Publications in the School of Communication, the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program in the UC, the UH Health Center and the Athletics Department in the Athletic/Alumni Center.

"We are collecting any types of school supplies," Ochoa said. "You can also give cash donations, buy Coca Cola products at HEB stores from July 11 to Aug. 8, and a portion of every product sold will go to OSS."

OSS began in 1990 as an effort between the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. and the HAO for delivering the fundamentals for school to students in the Houston area, Ochoa said. In 2001 HEB joined the project.

"With this on-campus drive we have had great help from the Student Alumni Connection and MVP," Ochoa said.